Ingredients You Will Need
- 2 lbs of carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of cardamom powder
- 1 tsp of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 cup of chopped almonds and raisins for garnish
Carrot Pudding Preparation Method
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the grated carrots and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots have softened.
- Pour in the milk and cream and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook the mixture, stirring frequently, until the milk has been fully absorbed by the carrots. This should take around 20-25 minutes.
- Add the sugar, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon powder to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook the mixture, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened to a creamy consistency. This should take around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the halwa cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped almonds and raisins and serve the carrot halwa hot.
Serving Suggestions for Carrot Halwa
- Carrot halwa can be enjoyed as a dessert, snack, or even as a breakfast dish.
- Gajar Ka Halwa is best served hot, and can be garnished with a dollop of fresh cream, a sprinkle of crushed nuts, or a drizzle of honey
- It can also be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
Tips and Tricks for making tasty Carrot Halwa
- Use high-quality carrots that are bright in color and firm to the touch for the best results.
- Grate the carrots using a fine grater for a smoother texture.
- Stir the mixture continuously to prevent burning and ensure an even consistency.
- Adjust the sugar to taste, depending on how sweet you like your halwa.
- Serve the halwa hot for the best flavor and texture.
Health Benefits of Carrot Halwa
- In addition to its delicious taste, carrot halwa also offers a range of health benefits. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body and is essential for good vision and skin health.
- The calcium and potassium found in milk help to maintain strong bones and teeth, while the ghee provides a good source of healthy fats.
- Additionally, the mix of nuts in the halwa provides a source of protein and healthy unsaturated fats.