Chana Masala Recipe - channay, chole, chhole, chole or chholay masala
Chana masala is a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas and a flavorful tomato-based sauce. It's hearty, flavorful, and easy to make.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic and cook until the onion is soft and translucent (or) about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, garam masala, and ground red pepper (if using) and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add tomato puree and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the chickpeas to the sauce and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot over rice or with naan bread.